Wednesday 16 December 2009

Life begins at 40 (so they say)

Ok where do I start? This week has been crazy, unbelievable and OTT in so many ways.

I’ll start with the Training Log as that’s pretty simple. After the Aquathlon on the 6th I had 3 days off and then it all just seemed to kick into gear. I cranked out 1h45m on my hybrid bike (the shopper) on Thursday, then did a 1hr run/1hr swim on Friday and a 1h45m bike /1hr run on Saturday. It all looked good going into the Club’s Christmas Party on Saturday night, but that’s where it stopped and I’ve done diddly squat since. I suspect that 4 days of nothing is hardly ideal preparation for the planned 40mile run this Sunday. It’ll be interesting to see if that actually happens.

So onto my Birthday!!! On Tuesday (15th) I hit the big 4-0! I know, it’s hard to believe I’m any older than 30 with my youthful looks and my amazing physique isn’t it? Well now that my tongue has been prized from my cheek I can get on with the tales of my Birthday goings on.




So it’s my 40th and I’ve been to and heard of enough 40th parties to really just expect anything and be surprised by nothing in the weekend before. I couldn’t help wondering if my parents were going to show up at some point, it’s just the sort of thing they’d do. I even opted out of phoning them to discuss the football, just in case they didn’t answer and I ruined any surprise. As the day went on there was no sign, but then when we rocked up at the Tri Club’s Christmas Dinner that evening there they were sat at the end of a table with my nephew David. I genuinely had no idea (just my suspicious mind) and it was great to have them there, the only problem being that after they’d travelled all that way we didn’t actually spend that much time together as the whole ‘club thing’ was going on too. There was of course Birthday Cake too (my second one) which I’m still troughing my way through. Couple all that with my mixed bag of Birthday presents including the healthy (Nike Air Pegasus and a Garmin 310XT) and the not so healthy (cake, chocolate and TWO bottles of Drambuie).

The only downsides to my birthday were the fact that people kept wanting to celebrate it before the day (didn’t they realise I was in no rush to hit 40) and that on the day itself I had to work a 14hr shift. Ah well.

Tune back in tomorrow for the big tale of the weekend, the North Devon Tri Presentation Night. That really was something else.

No comments: